Mujadara is a simple Palestinian comfort vegan dish, that is only made out of a few ingredients. Not only it is a delicious dish but very easy to make. The two common ingredients of this dish are brown lentils and rice. However, I’m replacing the rice with bulgur. My mom used to make it with rice all the times, then long time ago, somebody mentioned that they make it with bulgur instead, so I decided to try it with bulgur and ever since I have been only making it with bulgur.
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 cup bulgur (# 3 or 4)
- 3 1/2 cups of tap water
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 sweet onion, chopped into slices
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- In a pot add lentils after washing and rinsing, add water. Once it starts boiling, cover the pot and turn the heat on low and let it simmer. This entire step takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Wash and rinse bulgur and add to the lentils, add cumin powder and salt, mix everything well together, place the cover back and continue to simmer on low heat, for another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate skillet warm olive oil, then add sliced onions, continue to occasionally sauté onions and until they turn brown.
- Once onions are done, set them aside and pour whatever oil left in the skillet cooked with onions into the lentils and bulgur pot. Mix well.