Yakhni bazela يخني بازيلا or pea stew, is a hearty warm comfort dish, that kids love. It’s very easy to make especially if you have all ingredients in your freezer.
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1/2 pound mince or ground lamb or beef
- A pinch of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg for the meat
- 3 tablespoons oil (divided)
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) frozen peas
- 2 carrots chopped (optional), fresh or frozen.
- 3 cups fresh tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes paste
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- salt and pepper
- In a pot heat oil and sauté one small chopped onion until caramelized, then add meat, add spices and salt. Integrate everything well together and continue sautéing until the meat is more brownish and fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, add oil with chopped fresh carrots, sauté for 7 minutes, or until lightly softened then add frozen peas.
- Integrate everything together and continue Sautéing for another 5 minutes.
- Pour vegetables over meat and integrate everything well together, then pour tomato sauce over the mix, and stir in about one tablespoon of tomato paste. Then add salt and allspice.
- Let it simmer uncovered on low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
Served hot with rice.
Keywords: stew, yakhni bazela, pea stew