This peas stew recipe or also known as bazella w riz in Arabic or bazella stew is a hearty warm comfort dish consisting of peas cooked with meat in tomato sauce.
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1 pound, chunks minced or ground lamb or beef
- A pinch of cinnamon, allspice, and nutmeg for the meat
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil (divided)
- 1 pound (about 2 cups) of fresh or frozen peas
- 2 carrots chopped (optional), fresh or frozen.
- 3 cups fresh tomato sauce (about 4 medium size ripe tomatoes) blended with 1/2 cup of water.
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste.
- 1 teaspoon allspice.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (adjust to taste).
- In a pot heat oil and sauté one small chopped onion over medium-high heat until golden brown.
- Add meat over sauteed onios, add spices and salt. Integrate everything well together and continue sautéing until the meat is more brownish and fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pot, heat oil over medium-high then add carrots and peas, sauté for about 7 minutes, or until lightly softened.
- Bring vegetables over cooked meat, and integrate everything well together.
- Pour tomato sauce over the mix, then add salt and allspice.
- Mix tomato paste with 1/2 cup of hot water to liquidate, then add over mix.
- Stir everything well together and let it simmer uncovered on low heat for about 15-20 minutes.
- Make sure to saute vegetables for about 5-7 minutes or until soften before adding tomato juice.
- If using fresh vegetables, carrots take longer to cook than peas so make sure to saute them for up to 7 minutes before adding peas.
- It's best to avoid cooking this dish with sweet peas, preferably use any other regular peas that are not sweet.
- If you use lamb chunks I recommend cooking them in a pressure cooker, as they take longer to cook in a regular pot.
Keywords: stew, yakhni bazela, pea stew