This chicken shawarma rice bowl recipe is an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love. This stove-top grilled marinated chicken with homemade shawarma and its seasoning takes me back to what I grew up eating in my hometown Ramallah.
- 2 breast chicken thinly cut
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon clove powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice.
For the Bowl
- 1 cup arugula
- 1 cup mixed cucumbers and tomatoes (I mix them with 1 teaspoon of olive oil, sea salt and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 sliced red onions mixed with 1/4 teaspoon sumac
- 3-4 tablespoons tahini dressing.
- Place spices, yogurt, lemon and olive oil together in a bowl and mix well together.
- Cut breast chicken into thin slices and add to the mixture, integrate everything well together, and let it marinate for 2-4 hours or overnight.
- Heat skillet on medium-high and place chicken.
- Grill chicken on both sides until it's fully cooked.
- Once grilled slice chicken into thinly sliced pieces, similar to shaved shawarma.
- To serve, add arugula, then cooked rice to the bottom of the bowl, then top with chicken shawarma, arugula, tomatoes, cucumbers and sliced onions with sumac, then drizzle tahini sauce.
- If you use beef or lamb you may want to marinate for a longer time or overnight, lamb will take longer to tenderize.
- If you prefer to bake chicken you can use a baking sheet instead of grilling skillet.
- Store leftover chicken in an airtight container, it can last up to 3 days in the fridge.
- If you use boneless chicken breast I highly recommend cutting the breast into smaller thinner pieces so the chicken will cook faster.
- No need to grease your pan or skillet since the chicken has olive oil in the marinade.
- You can use a cooking thermometer to make sure the chicken is fully cooked.