Soft chewy Gingerbread Cookies a simple gingerbread recipe decorated however you like. These gingerbread cookies are delicious, chewy, and full of flavor, this recipe includes a number of different spices mixed with honey and molasses which makes them extra special. Gingerbread cookies are the essence of the holidays . A family tradition for the holiday season you and your kids will enjoy making.
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup of powder sugar
- 2 tbs of liquid milk
- 1 tsp vanilla (optional)
- Mix well by hand or with a mixer, make sure the consistency is not too thin nor too thick, you can adjust the consistency by adding more milk to soften or more sugar for thickness.
- With a spoon place the mix in a decorating bag, with scissors cut a small hole at the bottom of the bag, and have fun decorating.
- Keep decorated cookies flat for 2-3 hours or until icing is completely hardened.
- Mix wet ingredients together (butter, brown sugar, molasses, honey, egg, and vanilla).
- Mix dry ingredients together (flour, ginger powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and ground cloves).
- Add wet mix to dry mix and integrate everything together to form a dough.
- Place the mix in the fridge for up to 1 hour.
- Roll the dough into a big flat sheet (if it’s a little hard to work with once out of the fridge, let sit for a few minutes), I recommend using wrapping paper on top and bottom so it’s easier to roll.
- Once rolled just simply use the variety of cutters available, then place them on a previously greased pan or on top of parchment paper to the pan.
- Continue the process until all dough is used.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes
- Once baked, let the cookies cool off before decorating.
You can use your favorite cookie cutters with different shapes.
- Serving Size: 2 Cookies
- Calories: 272
- Sugar: 21.3g
- Sodium: 213.1mg
- Fat: 9.5g
- Carbohydrates: 44.2g
- Protein: 4.1g
- Cholesterol: 35.8
Keywords: Gingerbread Cookies, Christmas Cookies, Holidays