An traditional and easy recipe of how to make Arabic Rice with Vermicelli, three ingredients only. Served as a side dish next to many Middle Eastern stews.
- 1 cup short-grain white rice.
- 1 tablespoon ghee (butter or any oil)
- 1/3 cup vermicelli
- 1 cup of boiled water
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Soak rice for about 10-15 minutes.
- In a cooking pot, heat oil or butter, add vermicelli and continually steer until all evenly roasted, until turning golden brown.
- Rinse rice from water, pour over vermicelli, add salt, and continue to stir so that the rice is well-coated with ghee and vermicelli.
- Add boiled water, once it starts boiling, cover the pot and turn the heat low.
- Let it cook for about 15 minutes.
- Turn heat off and let it sit for 10 minutes and then fluff it with a fork.
- It is very important to soak the rice for 10-15 minutes before cooking, otherwise, the ratio for cooking between water and rice differs.
- Use the same measuring cup for rice and water.
- If rice is soaked for more than 15 minutes, then it observed more water and it would need less of the amount of water for cooking.
- To make the rice more rich and flavorful you can use vegetable stock or chicken stock instead of regular water.
- Vermicelli pasta is very fine and thin and gets roasted very quickly, to prevent it from burning it's best to keep an eye on continuous steering until they turn golden brown.