Stuffed Chicken with Freekeh محشي دجاج بالفريكة, Stuffed chicken or turkey was one of the most demanded meals at our house especially on New Year's Eve. My parents always made their best to make this evening as festive and as special as possible. My mother loved to prepare a beautiful dinner table filled with delicious food to add next to the stuffed chicken. My late dad always liked to light up all the lights in the house and keep them on until after midnight, he also loved to place a green vegetable in the middle of the dinner table.
- 2 Cornish chicken
- 1 cup uncooked freekeh
- 1 cup of boiled water for cooking
- 2 cups of tap water for soaking
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Soak freekeh in water for about 15-20.
- Rinse freekeh from water and sauté in vegetable oil for about 1 minute then cover with boiled water
- Turn the heat on low once it starts boiling, cover it, and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, clean the chicken with vinegar and some salt.
- In a small bowl combine all the spices: allspice, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom powder, black pepper, and salt.
- Rub the chicken with lemon juice, then olive oil, with the spice mixture, make sure to cover the chicken well with the spices from the outside and the inside.
- With a big spoon or with your hands, take a handful of the cooked freekeh and stuff it inside the chicken until each chicken is fully stuffed. You can close the bottom with a toothpick.
- Place the stuffed chicken in a granite roaster and cover it. Bake at 350 degrees for 1.5 – 2 hours.
- Serve with a side of plain yogurt or salad.