This vegan freekeh salad with roasted cauliflower and pomegranate seeds on a bed of fresh arugula is a perfect full-meal vegan recipe for a quick meal packed with nutrients and the great nutty smokey taste that comes from freekeh.
- 1 cup cooked freekeh
- 1 cup grilled cauliflower
- 2 cups fresh arugula
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup
- Roast cauliflower: wash cauliflower, cut into small cutlets, spread over a baking sheet, and add cumin powder, salt, and olive oil. Integrate everything well together and bake at 350 degrees for 54-60 minutes.
- Cook freekeh: Soak in water for 10-minutes. Then rinse and add over the heated oil, add boiled water, cover the lid, and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Roast almonds: place unblanched almonds in a toaster oven for about 10 minutes, and stir a couple of times until the almonds are all coated.
- Assemble the salad: To assemble, add arugula, cooked freekeh, roasted cauliflower, roasted almonds, and pomegranate seeds in a large mixing bowl, gradually pour the dressing overtop and toss to combine. Taste for flavor and add more dressing if needed.
- If arugula leaves are large, cut them into smaller sizes
- chop cauliflower cutlets to bite size
- Cauliflowers are unlike other vegetables and take longer to cook, you can make them the day before and store them in the fridge.
- You can use raw almonds, but roasted can give the salad an extra flavor.
- you can store the mixed salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store without the dressing, and only add the dressing once served.