When summer is here I start craving on all the summer light refreshing desserts, it was already getting warm here so I thought since it’s also Ramadan I can share this light recipe, which can be a nice light dessert after a heavy iftar.
I myself love all kinds of puddings though my favorite is custard, and the combination of custard and jello makes this dessert so good. Faris too, loves all kinds of custard, he has a sweet tooth and I always try to figure out ways to have healthy desserts around, so to avoid the guilt trip of him eating sweets, those homemade desserts can be much better than anything bought from the market, I’m aware of all the ingredients and can control the sugar quantities.
So here is how to make Chocolate custard pudding. I first start with the making the jello, just follow the package instructions, and once the jello ready it can be poured in small serving plates or a one big serving plate but I thought it’ll look nicer that way for the photo, but follow whatever way that is easier and more practical. Keep jello in the fridge for about an hour or until it thickens.
Then make the custard. We grew up back home using a different type of custard powder than what is available in the American grocery stores. Any custard powder brand with vanilla flavor can be used, these can be found at any grocery store that sells Middle Eastern or Indian products. The American version can be used, however, I prefer this one as one can control the liquidity of the custard, the American ones are more liquidy versus this one. For the brand I have here I used 2 tablespoons of custard, 1 and ¼ cups of milk and about 1 tablespoon of agave. Mix well and continue to stir over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken. Take off the heat and pour over jello let it cool off for a few minutes, then place in the fridge for another 30-40 minutes or until thickens.
Now start with the chocolate pudding, what I did here is mix 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder with milk, mix it all well until cocoa is dissolved, then in a separate cup mix ¼ cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of starch, stir well and add it to the cocoa and milk and add 1 tablespoon of agave. The idea of adding the starch here so the mixture can thicken, since cocoa powder doesn’t have any starch in it. Over medium heat continue to stir until mixture thickens, then pour over the jello custard layers.Print
Chocolate Custard Pudding كاسترد بودنغ مع جلو
- 1 box of jello
- 2 tablespoons custards powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon starch
- 2–3 tablespoons agave or sugar
- 2 1/2 cups of milk
- Prepare jello based on bag instructions
- Pour jello into serving cups and let it cool off for about an hour in the fridge.
- Prepare custard by mixing the custard powder with 1-1/4 cups of milk and 1 tablespoon of agave over medium heat. Keep stirring until the custard thickens. Pour over jello and let it cool off for another hour in the fridge.
- Make chocolate pudding. Mix well 1 cup of milk with cocoa powder until all dissolved. Then separately mix starch with 1/4 cup of milk, then add over cocoa and milk mixture. Cook over medium heat by continuing stirring until it thickens. Then pour over the custard and let it cool off in the fridge for about an hour.
- You can decorate by adding fruits and nuts on top.
The ingredients are enough for three servings.