It has been really cold lately, so I felt like making soup. Soup is always a good idea in the cold weather.
There are so many different combinations of lentil soups within both the Middle Eastern and the Palestinian cuisines. Two main lentils are very known in this particular region: red lentils and brown lentils. These two lentils are often used in making vegan soups.
So, my recipe today is very easy, it includes spinach and carrots with the brown lentils, though one can easily substitute for different vegetables from what I’m using here or even add other vegetables if that’s a preference.
However, I do love this combination of the brown lentil soup with spinach and carrots. Spinach can be substituted for kale if one prefers the later.
So here is how to make brown lentil soup:
In a pot heat olive oil and add chopped onions with crushed garlic and saute until they are golden brown. Add chopped carrots, sauté all together for 2 minutes then add lentils. Pour into the mix the boiled water. Once the mix starts to boil, which happens instantly since the water is already hot, cover the pot and turn the heat on low. Let it simmer for about 30 minutes.
Once 20 minutes passed, add chopped spinach. Spinach is added at the end because they won’t take much time to cook, then add salt and cumin powder. Stir in everything well together. Cover the lid again and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. If lentils and carrots are softened then soup is ready.
Once ready add lemon juice or it can be added once served.
Below are instructions in more details of how to make lentil soup.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic- crushed
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups of boiled water
- 8 ounces of chopped carrots (about 2-3 carrots)
- 16 ounces of chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- lemon juice
- On medium heat add olive oil and sauté onions and garlic until golden brown.
- Add carrots and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add lentils then add boiled water, stir in everything well together, cover the pot and turn the heat on low and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add spinach, cumin powder, and salt. Cover the pot again and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes. Once lentils and carrots are softening, soup should be ready.
- Lemon juice can be added after soup being served.
This recipe is enough for 3 people
Just had this soup for lunch and it was wonderful.
Great, I’m so glad you liked it Katie!