Rice pudding رز بالحليب is a very common dessert the Mastic and Rosewater in this Palestinian version is a light and refreshing dessert with a distinctive flavor. You will find both kids and adults will love, especially on hot summer days. Another refreshing desert you may enjoy on a hot summer day is Yogurt with Strawberries and Nuts.
While things still look gloomy in Gaza, and Sheikh Jarrah, it’s been hard to pretend that things are normal or even joyful. Although living thousands of miles away images of hardships in my home country are still close and very real. Palestinians have been through many hardships over the last 73 years. Insisting and persisting to exist has become part of Palestinians daily motto. Culture and food play a big part in Palestinians daily life. It is very important for Palestinians to keep on doing what they do.
I made this recipe several weeks ago and wanted to share it on Ascension Day or Ascension Thursday خميس الصعود. Ascension Day Occurs 39 days after Easter Sunday. A Christian holiday that commemorates Jesus Christ’s ascension into heaven. (timeanddate.com)
A tradition in our house, every year my mother would make rice pudding on Ascension Day. A white dish that represents heaven and the holiness of this holiday.
Rice pudding is a very common dessert, although the basic ingredients are the same, flavors introduced by other cultures are completely different from the Palestinian versions. . Rice Pudding has actually been around for centuries, possibly originating in China, which has an ancient rice culture. This has been disputed by some food historians, arguing that rice pudding likely originated in India, which has an ancient rice culture as well as an ancient sugar culture.Print
Rice pudding رز بالحليب is a very common dessert the Mastic and Rosewater in this Palestinian version is a light and refreshing dessert with a distinctive flavor. You will find both kids and adults will love, especially on hot summer days.
- 1/2 up rice (preferably Egyptian rice) Cal rose or Jasmine
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2–1 teaspoon Arabic Mastic grinded
- 1 teaspoon rosewater
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- Cinnamon powder, pistachios, or other nuts for decorations (optional)
- Soak rice for 10 minutes (optional) or rinse rice under cold water to remove starch.
- Place rice in a pot and cover with 1 cup of water.
- once it starts boiling, cover then turn it to low.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes until rice is fully cooked.
- Pour 2.5 cups of milk over the rice and keep stirring over medium heat.
- ½ cup milk left mix with cornstarch then pour over the rice-milk mixtures.
- Grind mastic with 1 teaspoon of sugar in a hand grinder
- Add sugar and mastic, continue stirring on medium heat for another 15 minutes until it starts thickening and bubbling.
- Turn heat off and mix in the rose and orange blossom water.
- Pour the mixture into small bowls let it cool off for about ½ hour
- Place in the fridge. It can last up to a week in the fridge.
Served chilled, sprinkle some nuts on top.
Keywords: Rice Pudding, Mastic and Rosewater, Palestine Rice Pudding